It’s an Experience

January 18th, 2016 tjvign17

Hi all!

My exams are finally over and I’m back on the grind! In addition to my 5 language package classes I have to take I am taking four other courses, which include; philosophie politique et morale, a French literature class entitled “parler d’amour,” and two English classes. Hopefully one semester in France will make reading french philosophy a bit easier…

In any case, I wanted to share with you guys one of the tips that I kept receiving before leaving to go abroad. Many people to me to get to know where I would be living and studying for a year before jetting off to new and (potentially) more-exciting places. Though I feel like Dijon has become my home, I’m beginning to realize that there are corners of it that I’ve never explored and thus it has become my personal mission to make sure that I get off of every stop of the tram at least once before the semester ends to see what I can find. Even this past weekend I found a café right downtown that has the perfect atmosphere for reading, which the hard seats and fluorescent lighting of the university library don’t provide. I love finding hidden treasures throughout the city and now that I have established a real friend base, I hope that these next few months will provide endless opportunities to explore.

That said, I can’t believe that I’m more than half-way done with my abroad experience and I plan on making sure that I visit as many bucket-list places as I possibly can before I pack up and head home in may. These places include: Barcelona, Venice, Rome, Amsterdam, and Berlin, among others. As my budget and my time left slowly dwindle, I’m expecting a very busy semester 2.

The reason I wanted to share these plans with you all in this blog post stems primarily from a conversation I had with my host-mom over dinner last night; she asked me how it felt to be back and if I missed the United States yet. After about 30 seconds of trying to squeeze the innumerable moments of longing for home I’ve experienced while also expressing how grateful I am for every moment I have to explore this beautiful place into one grammatically correct phrase, all I could manage was a hand-motion and a simple “moyen.” She smiled and told me; “Ça ne va pas durer longtemps; c’est une expérience.” 

I’m off to make the most of this experience, one café at a time!

À la prochaine! 

Thomas

Hopefully at the end of the semester I won't look like my friend, Buddha

Hopefully at the end of the semester I won’t look like my friend, Buddha

Thomas Vignati '17